Re: [xml-dev] Invalid attribute names

At this point, I recommend you forward your suggestions to the editors
of the various specifications rather than pressing on the same questions
over and over without carefully considering the responses that were
provided.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

Toni Uusitalo wrote:

> At 21:28 31.12.2003, you wrote:
> >An attribute name of ":test" implies a blank prefix name, which is
> >illegal.
>
> Yes, but couldn't that be treated simply as attribute (or same with element
> name of course)
> not belonging to any namespace, what's the danger of treating it that way?
> I admit this isn't good practice to use name starting with colon but...
>
> >With an attribute name of "x:test:a", it is unclear which is the
> >namespace prefix and which is the local part.
>
> I made typos there meant of course:
> <e x:test:a="" xmlns:x="ns"/>
> but anyway couldn't this be treated as attribute called test:a
> belonging to namespace ns. What's the danger of treating first found colon as
> namespace separator and simply ignore the rest?
>
> >Hope that helps.
> >
> >Kind Regards,
> >Joe Chiusano
> >Booz | Allen | Hamilton
> >Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World
> >
> >Toni Uusitalo wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW what was the main motive behind not letting name to start with colon or
> > > not to allow multiple colons in
> > > xml namespaces specification.
> > >
> > > i.e. what's the "danger" of the following attribute names for example:
> > > <e :test=""/>
> > > <e x:test:a xmlns:x="ns"/>
> > >
> > > with respect,
> > > Toni Uusitalo

> with respect,
> Toni Uusitalo
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano