   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Participation

Rich Salz scripsit:

> I'm not sure what you mean by replay attack.  What packets (HTTP
> requests) is the adversary replaying?  If the initial login form is
> protected by SSL, than there's nothing to steal for future replay. (If
> your adversary can crack SSL/TLS, it's safe to assume they're going to
> go after bigger fish than you might be. :)

Fair enough.  I was actually thinking of a man-in-the-middle attack or
equivalent, where the first time you send the cookie in the clear, I capture
it and send my own content with the same cookie.  The server thinks I am you.
You are quite right that this has less long-term exposure than HTTP basic,
but HTTP digest is better than either (deployment difficulties aside).

I don't see why embedding a capability in the URL is un-RESTy, though.
Every resource has a stable URL still; it's just that publishing certain
URLs becomes a Bad Thing.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan@reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are