   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Participation

Your privacy argument is fairly bogus -- the cookie still gets sent on
the wire in the clear with every request.  In any case, there is a
difference between passing "private data" as state between client and
server on every request (which is bad whether done with cookies or URL)
and using a session token to match a client with server state, which is
what I described.  The latter is absolutely essential in any non-trivial
web application.  I'll admit that there are reasons you would prefer to
store a session token in a cookie rather than URL, but not for the
reasons you describe (referrers can be easily managed).  Embedding state
(especially transient state prone to expiration such as authentication)
makes it difficult to bookmark things, compare URIs, etc -- in short
violates REST.