   Re: [xml-dev] Formalism and complexity

--- Ian Graham <igraham@ic-unix.ic.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I'm merely pointing out that
> getting developers to do things 'right' means
> teaching them to think about
> their interfaces (namely xml) in new, different
> ways.  That's hard to do,
> particularly when many of the tools (like much of
> the web services stuff
> we're working with) don't support anything but the
> straitjacket.
>
> Which is way off topic from complexity and formalism
> (at least as I
> interpreted it), but is interesting nevertheless.

I don't think that's off-topic.  My original point was
that there are two different but partially compatible
ways of dealing with the complexity:

- Simplify the specs to the point where 'doing things
right' is possible because things really are
consistent.

-  Just Deal With It by extensive testing, compilation
and evaluation of best practices, i.e. 'teaching them
to think.'

It's interesting that lots of people and vendors want
to make it look like 'doing things right' is a matter
of using the right tool or following the right
methodology.  The inappropriateness of trying to stuff
the web services stuff into a distributed object
straitjacket is now apparent to almost everyone, even
though that appeared to be the 'right thing' given the
OO mindset of a few years ago.