   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Particip ation

On Jan 6, 2004, at 8:54 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>  Unless you know the user name and password, you can't get in. Once
> you've typed in the URL and password, however, you can load it using
> only that URL. The browser remembers the username and password for
> you. (Modern browsers even have an option to remember this between
> sessions.)

I'm having a hard time seeing any deep architectural distinction
between using a cookie to remember a (presumably encrypted)
name/password and using a proprietary mechanism in a browser to
remember a name/password.  Why is the former bad and contrary to the
web architecture, and the latter is a good thing, even though "it is
very little used on the web today?"   (Why not?)