   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call forParticipation

At 4:15 PM -0500 1/7/04, Rich Salz wrote:

>No.  I'm saying without rest I send it once, store it at the server,
>use a cookie to refer to it in future transactions.

Is the cookie sent unencrypted? If so, and we're not using SSL (as is
the case in many cookie scenarios) what, if anything, prevents an
attacker from snarfing the authentication cookie as it makes its way
back from the client to the server (or in the other direction) and
adding that to its own requests to the same server?

I hope there's something that prevents this. There must be. Otherwise
this is a huge, gaping security hole much bigger than anything we've
been arguing about, and I would think it would have lots of practical
exploits on the Web today. Please tell me there's some reason this
attack won't work.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu