   Re: [xml-dev] Expertise and Innovation - was Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borg serv

mc@xegesis.org (Michael Champion) writes:
>I'm reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story that Tim Berners-Lee
>was ignored or scorned by the hypertext community of the late 80's /
>early 90's because his stuff was so trivial and didn't address the
>interesting problems.  Of course, by ignoring the interesting problems
>he could deliver something that actually added value vastly
>disproportionate to the cost of seeing 404 messages now and then.

I was a HyperCard guy when I first heard of the Web, not a member of the
hypertext community per se.

I was working at Kinko's in Ithaca and building various HyperCard
oddities (which still run on my iMac, but no one but me would do that).
I'd spent time in the Cornell libraries reading about hypertext
approaches, and thought markup looked like a pure disaster.  I think I
was reading HyTimish stuff - it was 1992-3.

I didn't take the Web seriously for another year, much to my loss.

Tim did a great job when he was building trivial stuff, blowing my work
and that of lots of other people out of the water.  Unfortunately, I
think he and the W3C have done a much poorer job since turning their
sights on harder problems.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!