   Re: [xml-dev] Noise-free Complex Systems

Liam Quin wrote:

> So I for one see the Infoset as helping, although I don't like the usage
> illustrated in "an XML parser produces an infoset",
> because it confuses description with the thing described.

This confusion seems to inhere in 'descriptive' abstractions such as the
Infoset or, as seems more accurate to me, in the human tendency, demonstrable
at least since Plato, to regard the concrete instance as a manifestation of
the abstraction, rather than the abstraction as a convenience which needs to
be generated anew on each occasion from the instance under analysis. I have
said so here since the first day of discussion of the Infoset
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200007/msg00945.html though the very
usage you dislike has nevertheless proliferated, and I would say is at this
point the common understanding of 'infoset' among implementors of XML.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry