   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

Michael Champion wrote:

> OK, I'll bite and expose my lack of attention to the details  -- why are
> smart quotes illegal in XML?  (Or is it that the encoding is

They aren't.

> mis-specified?) Was this proposed to be fixed in XML 1.1?  Does anyone

It was mis-specified (actually it wasn't specified at all, and as it
wasn't UTF-8 it should have been).

> outside the RSS/Atom world complain about this?

Any XML parser MUST reject it, otherwise it doesn't deserve the name.

I'll not comment on the rest because it seems to say that because of
recent advances, we don't need a well-defined markup syntax. Somehow I
doub this is true :-)

Julian