   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for small Java XML Parser

Gordon Ross wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for a small Java XML parser (validation is *NOT* required,
>but well-formedness checking would be nice)
>
>I'm not looking for any particular API set, but if it can give me
>something like a DOM/JDOM tree-based API, rather than a SAX style event
>stream, mores the better.

If your XML does not use *any* bells or whistles (DTDs, namespaces,
entities,
and you are really in a closed world rather than getting data from the
general
public, you might like to try SPARTA at
   http://sparta-xml.sourceforge.net/

"Sparta is a lightweight Java XML package that includes an XML parser, a
DOM, and an XPath interpreter.  The code-size is small, the parser is
fast, the object memory size is small, and the DOM API is clean and simple.

Thermopylae is a wrapper around Sparta that allows it to be used as a
drop-in replacement for Xerces. It presents a W3C-standard parser and DOM.

Sparta was originally written in Hewlett-Packard Labs to support a
project creating an infrastructure for building agile applications that
distribute themselves throughout the global Internet and aggregate
ensembles of local appliances."

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

"