   RE: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

At 9:10 PM -0800 1/13/04, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>Some would consider such mailings a denial of service attack, I'd
>agree with them.

I was half-joking (but only half, how does one type half a smiley
face?). The main problem I see with this idea is that it would be too
easy for a popular webmaster to deliberately break their feed while
pointing the webmaster address at somebody else's inbox to launch a
DOS attack.

Don Park has a less aggressive suggestion
<http://www.docuverse.com/blog/donpark/EntryViewPage.aspx?guid=b8d11d41-7b90-489f-8f68-bedb2b05ddd2>:

I believe the spec should be strict and implementations should be
liberal yet *visibly distinguish* good feeds from bad ones. Badly
formed feeds should be displayed with 'broken' icons and posts should
be displayed with a header or footer message clearly indicating that
the feed data is bad. This should reduce or at least limit
proliferation of bad feeds.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu