   Re: [xml-dev] Sweet nostalgia

On Jan 16, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> See http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/01/16/draconianism and
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/01/16/DraconianHistory -

The editor proposes, the WG disposes, (and Sir Tim approves). The idea
that the editor of a W3C document, even back in "under the radar" days,
could pull of such a Machiavellian coup is more than a bit implausible.
   I know I've tried it a few times, and failed miserably.

Anyway, consensus is often impossible in these kinds of groups, and
when the going gets tough, a tough Chair just has to call a vote and
declare the majority the "consensus".  The losing side is often just
relieved to have the argument behind them,  because the alternative to
declared consensus is perpetual stasis.

>  doesn't it just make your eyes misty? -Tim

I'm reminded of Tom Lehrer's immortal "Bright College Days"
http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/brightco.htm (among many others):

Oh, soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life
But as we go our sordid sep'rate ways
We shall ne'er forget thee, thou golden [standards] days