   Restricting element recursion in schemas

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Restricting element recursion in schemas
  • From: "Chris Goolsby" <Chris.Goolsby@sas.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:01:07 -0500

Does anybody know whether it is possible to limit the number of nesting levels for a recursive element using XML schema?  We've been using DTDs for our XML work, but are currently reworking our model and converting to schema.  Our writers really like recursive topics, but our application developers really don't like it as it does not allow them to predict the format of documents conforming to the model.  One of the writers said they he thought XML schema allowed you to restrict the nesting level of recursive elements.  We'd never heard of that and are not able to find a way to apply that restriction.

Anybody on the list know whether it is possible to limit the levels of recursive elements in XML schema?

Thanks a lot.

 Chris Goolsby = Software Manager = Information Classification Systems
   email:     Chris.Goolsby@sas.com    SAS Institute Inc.
   telephone: (919) 531-5538           SAS Campus Drive
   fax:       (919) 677-4444           Cary, NC 27513