   Re: [xml-dev] re: genx

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Tolpin" <dvd@davidashen.net>

> Tim,
>
> rant:
>   many comments sent are making genx.h more complex. My feeling is that it is already
>   at the required level of complexity or above, and should be kept as simple or
>   made simpler.

David,

If you look closely its not that bad. These are the basic suggestions for
"additional" features I have seen:

- Abstract output call-back (you have suggested something more complex as well)
- Optional escaping of illegal characters (especially when it does not change anything).
  This only requires an option getter/setter, but does not make the API
  more complex, as it is all about internal behaviour.
- Option to turn off encoding and name checking
  (could be done with same option getter/setter as above)
- Pretty printing support (even the supposedly very simple XML::Writer
  Perl API that was mentioned, has this)
- Allow for setting a custom free (and realloc) in addition to alloc
- Writing of raw (unchecked) data (part of XML::Writer)
- Writing of short form empty elements (part of XML::Writer)
- Writing of CDATA sections (have different checking/escaping rules)
- Writing of XML declaration (part of XML::Writer)
- Writing of DTD declarations
  (the XML::Writer API has a function to write a DocType declaration)
- Some access to internal namespace tracking information

Except for the last two this is not much added complexity.

Karl