   RE: [xml-dev] genx - consensus items

> > > Do you mean that illegal characters will NEVER be escaped or that
they
> > > will ALWAYS be escaped?
> >
> > If there are illegal characters that's an error. -Tim
>
> If my input contains things like '<' it would be convenient
> if the XML writer would escape this to '&lt;' for me
> instead of throwing an error. Would save me some work.
>
> Or what do you mean with illegal character?

I would assume characters that are not permitted in the character
production of XML 1.0, such as low ASCII.  I'm not sure why the idea of
escaping these characters was even considered.  In .NET's XmlTextWriter
V1 we permitted escaping of these characters, but it's something that
probably wasn't a good idea and in our v2 writers will not be possible.