From: Ed Lai [mailto:data_mechanic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 12:17 PM
To: Mark Seaborne; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] transforming between XML data and HTML form

Nicolas Toper suggested that I look into cocoon
xmlforms, and Mark suggested XForms. They are both
good advice. Thanks.

I have read a few pages of introduction to XForms, I
have scrolled through Dubinko's XForms Essentials. I
also have read the summary of cocoon's XMLForm. I
probably should read them in much more detail, and
more importantly to actually play around with it.

Still my goal is differently from XForms. My target
audience are people who knows little or nothing about
XML data, and suddenly has a small amount of XML
instance data that they want to edit quickly. The
effort they are willing to spend should be smaller
than going to a plain text editor and edit it
directly. That is why I want to generate a HTML form
directly from XML data so the user can start editing
the XML data immediately without going through any
design. Of course the generated form would not be a
well designed form. So in XForms you specify the
label. The generated form may not look very nice. And
without additional information from XForms, I can only
use the tag as the label. Still the user can do his
job quickly, if only dirtily.

Of course when XForms is widely supported, there is no
reason that I should not generate XForms instead of
Form. That is why learning about XForms is a good
suggestion, I need to plan for future transition to
XForms in the currently design.

--- Mark Seaborne <mseaborne@origoservices.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you heard of XForms?
> (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/)
>
> It is a W3C rec that sets out how to bind arbitrary
> XML instances to Web
> forms. At the moment you need either a plugin, or
> server side transform to
> be able to use XForms on the web. I should take a
> look before you go any
> further with your project, you might find it useful.
>
> All the best
>
> Mark Seaborne

=====
Ed Lai