   implicit StartTagClose [Re: [xml-dev] genx - consensus items]

David Tolpin wrote:

>StartTagOpen/StartTagClose+EndTag vs startElement/endElement
>
>I think that in an implementation of XML writer startTagClose shouldn't do
>anything but flip a bit.

one way to flip the bits is to have a function call without any XML
output but with side effect such as

    genxText(w, NULL);

it will print no output but signal that star tag is closed.

the same trick can be used to control writing empty tag i.e.

    startTag(...)
    text()
    endTag(...)

produces <tag></tag>

and

    startTag(...)
    endTag(...)

produces <tag/>

>At the same time, if the API is on  the level of tags, I want to say the tag
>is closed; in fact, I would prefer StartTagClose to be passed the tag's name
>argument, same about endTag. It would help me write better programs.

i think that the problem is with matching EndTag call to StartTag in
case when they do not fit on the screen.

StartTag and StartTagClose are typically very close (on the same screen)
so it i snot difficult to match them ...

thanks,

alek