   RE: [xml-dev] regular expressions

Maybe their time hasn't come yet.  Gencoding
and Truly's DTD sat around for a long while.
I don't think any set of ideas can be forced
before there is some threshold of widely
perceived need, and even then, the progenitor
may have to live with the fact of someone
else's name on the cover.

That's the pioneering risk.  Somewhere in the
Mediterranean, a long long time ago, someone
or some group made a mechanical computer and
no one realized it until a researcher x-rayed
the rock it was embedded in.  If it can't
be replicated, it won't thrive.

80/20 engineering is the side effect.

One of the original notions that led me to
hypermedia was the possibility of recovering
lost knowledge.  And that dream came true.

Who invented Ctrl-Alt-Del?  David Bradley.
Who made it famous?  Bill Gates.

len

From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]

HyLex used a similar syntax for regular expressions.
I've always wondered why the idea never caught on elsewhere.
(Then again, none of the ideas from HyTime ever really
caught on...)