   RE: [xml-dev] Schema fragments for everyday stuff

From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]

>> But is already referenced in an RFP sitting on my desk
>> as we speak and it is older than a few weeks.  The antecedents
>> have been around for three years at least.

>Yes - that's an issue that we discussed 2 weeks ago in San Diego at the
>DOJ IWG (Industry Working Group) meeting. The discussions are underway
>with the proper folks, and hopefully some clarity will emerge in the
>future.

And the proper folks would be?  How many of the people at these
meetings are public safety vendor representatives, as in, the
people who bid, implement, and maintain these systems for the
public safety agencies vs. the people who consult, fund grants,
and manage Federal programs for creating specifications and
standards?  I am familiar with the different states and agencies
such as LASD and San Diego that want to implement this.  I
am also aware that they are having distinct problems finding
vendors who can reliably provide it.  Design for the BigBuyer
is suicide if it can't really scale down into the Tier 2
and Tier 3 markets.  That is the fundamental problem.

Fact:  this stuff is about three to five years ahead of its
market.  The public safety industry is about eight years
behind the cutting edge and the public safety market is a
late adopter market.  The very real danger for DoJ XML
efforts is like CALS IETMs, in that gap from initiative
to fielding, the relentless standardization committee
efforts will create overbuilt products which both
customer and industry will reject at the point of
procurement because they don't meet the immediate and
short to medium term needs.  IOW, they are white elephants
at point of sale and collapse into the smaller more
focused and adaptible designs.

How long has NIBRS been around and what is its degree
and rate of penetration into the states?  IOW, how
many agencies are still UCR?

>Yes - extensions are another issue that we discussed in San Diego. I
>anticipate that more clarity will emerge on this in the future.

They will emerge from the agencies that buy the systems.

>Lastly, I should mention that I also sit on a steering committee (since
>late 2003) that oversees the Justice XML initiatives (I don't get into
>the fine points of the schema techniques and design, but rather the
>general direction and issues such as extension metholodologies, etc.).

Go for it.  This is a CALS redux.   That isn't a critique; it is
an admonition about expectations and mission drift.

>Please feel free to provide any feedback that you'd like to me on
>GJXDD/M and I would be happy to see that it's justly considered.

Thanks!  Just understand the problem of changing the wheels on
a moving car at an intersection.   XML is being implemented for
public safety quickly, but the web technologies themselves are
a barrier to doing that reliably, securely, and safely.  The
platform matters.

len