   Re: [xml-dev] Canonicalization software

At 12:27 PM +0000 2/2/04, Robin LaFontaine wrote:
Elliotte,

I'm wondering how you are going to test these tools. The
canonicalization process should not change the data, though it will
re-order attributes and change prefixes.

After I've canonicalized, a straight text diff or binary compare can
find any differences. No fancy infoset comparisons are necessary. My
plan, if I can find a reliable tool, is just to generate some
canonicalized output from various input, then compare that output to
the output of my own canonicalizer to see if it's working correctly
or not. Given the current state of these tools and the lack of a
normative test suite I wouldn't be surprised if some of the
differences I turn up are bugs in the independent canonicalizer, so
I'll have to check each difference manually against the spec.
However, I should eventually be able to generate a reasonable test
suite for canonical XML by comparing enough independent
implementations and using the spec to figure out whose right when
they disagree.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu