len

From: Jonathan Borden [mailto:jonathan@openhealth.org]

Michael Kay wrote:

>>Surely a mere preference, not affecting one's legal name, is
>>insufficient to activate this.

>In England if you make a public statement that you wish to be known by a
>particular name, then that is your legal name.

What do you do when "the man formerly known as Prince" shows up in an
office and declares himself to be known by a non-alphanumeric, indeed
non-Unicode symbol, which he draws on a piece of paper?

I suspect that the U.K. National Health Service would simply ask him to
stand in the line designated for such folks -- in which case he'd likely
expire before being checked in to see the doctor, but afterwords the
documentation of this would be impecable :-)