   Fun with regular expressions

Hi,

I need to restrict xs:double to any allowable double value - with the
exception of NaN.

Having looked further into regular expressions for XML Schema - there
seems to be contradictory advice around.

Following one set of advice would allow us to use ^ at the start of the
reg exp to exclude NaN:
"[^N].*"  - this doesn't work with either Xerces or XML Spy.
I find the relevant section of the W3C spec somewhat difficult to
decipher. However, I get the impression that ^ is simply a normal
character in xsd land..

Another piece of advice is to use nested brackets such as:
"[a-zA-Z-[ABC]]" (Use any letters except AB or C).
Along these lines I've tried:
"[.-[NaN]]*" - far from working...
and "[.*-[NaN]]*" - ditto...

So then, the next option is to define a larger regular expression such as:

This does not allow .00009 for example, so we'll have to make the reg
exp even more complicated.

My question is:
Does anyone know of a simpler way of doing this?

Thanks

Max