   RE: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Att acks?

  • To: <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Att acks?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:01:30 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Your proposal (1) is a band aid unless you are claiming that anything
that ever comes out of a zip file must be marked permanently as being
unable to be executed.

Proposal (2) sounds like a band aid as well. The same sort of band aid,
preventing access to the Outlook address book programmatically turned
out to be since modern worms just look at the files on the hard drive
instead of exploiting the Outlook APIs directly these days.

As for (3) I don't need root to be a DDoS zombie, just a way to connect
to the Internet. Unless you are claiming that regular home users
shouldn't be able to install software or connect to the Internet.

Proposal (4) has some promise or it may just be I haven't thought much
about the problems at that layer.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
The heaviest burden a man can carry is a chip on his shoulder.

rights.