   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Attack

"the web was fielded witlessly" - ach, engineers always want to gold-plate
everything (somewhat like the military) and when something wasn't gold
plated, it's always "film at 11".

I don't think the web could have been fielded in any other way. This is the
way these big projects work. Chaos and problems, and the end result is
always 80/20. The projects that do reach 100 are in museums before the next
gen is out.

I remember the attempts at interactive TV by commercial outfits before the
web. Laughable. I think it needed the moonshine for the web to get a
kickstart. The problems? Hey, that's why you're employed, isn't it?

Roger.

                      jcowan@reutershea
                      lth.com                  To:       "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
                                               cc:       "'Michael Champion'" <mc@xegesis.org>, "'XML DEV'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
                      05/02/2004 15:51         Subject:  Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Attacks?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) scripsit:

> The difference
> is I have to answer the RFP truthfully even if it
> costs my company the contract because the procurement
> personnel 'drank the kool-aid' while accepting the
> Federal dollars.

Magna est veritas, et praevalebit -- but note the future tense.

> You'll hear it when those pdas in the
> hands of the first responders stop working as their
> servers go 'off the air' just as the truck or plane
> filled with something nasty takes out the local mall.
> Hang on to your radio.  RF doesn't know about DDoS.

Whatever are you talking about?  RF certainly does know'
about DoS, under the name of "jamming".  The U.S. already
has plans in place to jam GPS information when and as
needed, and in fact is trying to persuade the EU not
to deploy its Galileo system on the same frequency as
the encrypted version of GPS they are getting ready to
deploy, because (koff, koff) it will not be "interoperable",
by which they mean that jamming Galileo will also jam
military GPS.

> The web was fielded witlessly.

"There is no man alive who can claim that he has never acted like an
 asshole."
 --Gospel of Spider

--
I don't know half of you half as well           John Cowan
as I should like, and I like less than half     jcowan@reutershealth.com