   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoSAttacks

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> I understand the nature of the beast. My
> job is to make sure my customer does too
> in the face of people who claim 'worse
> is better' and 80/20 is 'good enough'.
> It can be for some applications (say
> a ballistic missile) but for a manned
> flight, no way.  Cheap won't cut it.
>
> len

Len, if you understand the nature of the beast, don't bitch at us, bitch
at your customers. Your analogy is dead on. Tim BL came to MiCom and
showed them a way to take the money that would have bought them 50
missiles, every one of which would hit the target, and instead get 100
missiles, 80 of which would hit the target.

Of course every silo in the world has TB-L missiles now. Of course
you're frustrated that you can no longer just upgrade a production
missile to man-rating. But neither the generals nor the TB-L missile
company have the job of making your job easier. And they did their real
job wittingly and well.

Frank