   Re: [xml-dev] A question about REST and transaction isolation

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

User A GETs a resource and edits it. User B GETs a resource and edits
it. User A PUTs the modified resource back. User B PUTs her version of
the modified resource back, unaware of A's edits. A's edits are lost
without anyone noticing. What I want to happen is B to get a 409
"Conflict" or some such.

> REST isn't a good idea for isolating a transaction unless that
> transaction is expressed as a document.

A lockfile is a document. Just not one I would have thought should be
exposed to the user :=)

> 1.  REST doesn't remove the requirement for replication, as in,
> a server collapsing under the load of both transactional
> updates and deletes while simultaneously attempting to process
> requests for reports.  Create a report server and replicate to it.
> REST is likely good for that.

There are no replication requirement in this project.

> 2.  REST thrives as the granularity of a document/dataset; that is, a
> report.

Yes, that's why I want to know more about it :=)

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.