   Re: [xml-dev] XML inside another XML

At 12:21 PM -0500 2/12/04, <santony@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>I have an XML used as a wrapper, that contains another XML. ( The
>outside XML is used as the communication header )
>I have to handle a case where the inside XML is not well formed. (
>Basically I m sending a response message saying that the request XML
>was corrupt )
>Obviously if I just embedd the corrupt XML inside the wrapper XML, I
>get error.

First you need to store the *unparsed* text as a string, byte array
or some such thing. If you've already parsed it and thrown away the
original, it's too late.

Then insert that string into your output message. All correct XML
APIs I'm aware of will escape all the < and & signs as necessary to
allow it top be treated as text. If you're using printf or
System.out.println() or some such to generate your message, it's
trickier. You can wrap the output in a CDATA section, but watch out
for any embedded ]]> strings that may appear in the malformed input.
If you see these, then you'll have to close the CDATA section, write
]]&gt;, and then reopen the CDATA section.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu