   Re: [xml-dev] Is the USPTO run by knaves or fools? - was Re: [xml-dev]US

I heard these recently:

Patenting in US is much more affordable, whereas patenting in countries
like Japan are much more expensive. The current ineffeciencies in
recognizing not-worthy patents ensures that the patenting process is
cheap. There are pros and cons to cheaper patenting process: pros include
even individuals who come up with original ideas can patent; cons are
known to everyone..

Of course, there is question of enforcing the patent (or) patent
law-suits, which will be very expensive, and which will go through
experts. For example, several patents issued by USPTO I am sure when it
goes to enforcing the patent, they will be considered as prior-art; so any
law suit might not hold.

But still it is a scary thought of potential patent infringement.

best, murali.

Please correct me if I am wrong.