   RE: [xml-dev] database primary keys in XML Schema

The publisher of the XML document understands the XSD (schema).  The publisher already has access to the XSD so the publisher understand what the keys are.  The same is true for parser and consumer.

The publisher does not specify the key, just populates the data in the document.

Everybody in the system understands the keys by the XSDs.

Sounds like you want to specify the key in the XML document and not just the XSD.  We decided against that approach.  By including a version for each XML document we ensure compatibility just incase the keys change in the future.

Dave

Markus Seibold <Markus.Seibold@gmx.net>

02/13/2004 08:58 AM