   RE: [xml-dev] Local Vs Global Vocabularies

Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> This doesn't address the problem of indexing.  Indexing is
> why one usually prefers a highly optimized local vocabulary and
> a shrinkwrap system that can be lightly extended.  Data fields
> can be added to tables by the customer but not code beyond that
> inherited from the GUI control.  So they can search and report on
> these fields, validate them based on base types, but using them
> in extensive cross table relationship validation requiring code
> is not done without additional development costs.
>
> If high performance based on these optimizations is to be obtained,
> it is likely one does not want to implement the global vocabulary
> as the data dictionary for the local system.  One treats it the way
> the Romans used Aramaic:  learned but spoken as necessary given
> two speakers who recognize the need for it on encounter.

As I previously mentioned it helps if one can cost justify just throwing
hardware at the problem....  However, I'll note that we do two things to
enable local indexing and cross referencing:

1) all primary indexes are based on the global metadata.  Domain
specific views are either instance data specific (local data organized
by global metadata) or local transformations of the global metadata at
presentation time.

2) we allow the creation of arbitrary links between instance specific
data (stored as more instance specific data), though the enabling of
these links has to be first done in metadata for a specific object.  Ie;
object X can link to object Y is described in metadata.  Local instances
of X can then be associated with arbitrary instances of local Y.

> [1]  The customer and marketing staff barely understand
> formal technical terms, so explaining why they can't have an
> implementation of the global language AND all of their local
> requests and still meet the performance requirements is a
> non-starter. It is painful and they move on to someone who
> buys them a beer
> and talks sports.  The 'elevator pitch' mentality pervades
> the marketplace.

Ain't it the truth.  There are people who understand why our system
solves problems that, for instance, Oracle Clinical doesn't solve.  Then
there are the people who can't even imagine that there are problems like
the ones we are trying to solve (least of all solutions to them).  More
than once we've been told that it is impossible to build a system like
the one we've built...