   Re: [xml-dev] Piccolo Java SAX parser and others in the wild?

> Speaking of writing a promising XML parser and then abandoning it,
> what's up with Saxon's AElfred? :-) So far in my tests, it's the only
> one to cross the 90% correct threshold, and many of the tests it
> fails are bugs in the test framework I need to fix.

<history>AElfred2 is now hosted as part of the GNU ClasspathX [1]-- I think
it was included in Saxon but never really part of the Saxon package per se
(though Michael did fix many things in it IIRC). David Brownell took it over
from David Megginson and like SAX has only been able to spend a little time
on it of late. For a while there Nic Ferrier lead the ClasspathX and
therefore made quite a few changes in AElfred2 but most were not specific
XML tests that were failing as much as improvements in the overall package.
In January Nic stepped down and Chris Burdess and Arnaud Vandyck are leading
the project. I have seen a couple of commits from Arnaud so it appears to be
alive and well...</history>

To add to this I have ported AEflred2 to Delphi as part of the SAX for
Pascal project. In that time I came across many bugs but they were sorted
out in both the Java version and the Pascal version. I have almost completed
a port of AElfred2 to C#. (Which I admit is pretty easy...) When that's
complete it is my goal to attack some remaining issues including the bane of
AElfred2 which is location information.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter