   Re: [xml-dev] writing good xml

Hi Ronald,

Ronald Kent Gibson wrote:
> Someone once told me that you should only used attributes when you know that
> you will never need another attribute. (Case 1)

True, meaning that, in general, it's ok to use attributes like

<foo bla="value"/>

if you are confident that no need to capture further information
regarding 'value' will arise.

A simpler way of putting this is, only use attributes to capture atomic
values and not anything more complex like sets or other datastructures
(or anything you expect to become more complex in the future). This is a
good practice that minimizes the amount of refactoring needed due to
application changes.

> I would like the resulting XML to be easy to parse and to transform ( ie not
> tricky xpath or recursion required).

Hey, recursion is your friend!?

--
Manos Batsis