   Re: [xml-dev] Where things stand with SAX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Rafter" <lists@jeffrafter.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>; <sax-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 4:22 PM

> 4) Adding the http://xml.org/sax/features/unicode-normalization-checking
> feature. Seems this was agreed on and was okay-- in the XMLReader not the
> XMLReaderFactory. Some comments were made about revising this in the future
> and adding features to the factory-- but it seemed to be the consensus that
> this could wait for another revision. The biggest question remains follows
> the reporting of normalization failure.

I think one can already use the factory to load different parsers
- based on their features - from the same "implementer" by using
different classnames. (I believe you mentioned AElfred2 as an example)

> Michael Glavassevich brought up several great points off list, including
> this comment about the reported version:
>
> "I imagine things aren't going to change much but I feel like Locator2
> should only report the 'effective' version for the entity. This is the
> same as the version for the document entity. This interface was added to
> support the version and character encoding scheme properties of document
> information items in the infoset. The version and encoding of other
> entities are not part of the infoset." ... and ... "the XML version of the
> document entity matters. This is the authorative version for the document
> and every entity that it references. The version label for external
> entities is in the same category of non-information items such as
> attribute order, top-level whitespace and the kind of quotes used for
> attribute values. At least there's some value in reporting CDATA section
> boundaries and entity boundaries, but I don't see anything you can do with
> the XML version from a TextDecl."

I would say, reporting the "effective" version for an entity
does not add any information, only removes potentially useful information.

The application already knows the "effective" version from the document
entity's version, so reporting it again and again does not add anything.
However, if an error is encountered it might be useful to know if the
error could be due to an entity's conformance to a different version of XML.

Karl