   RE: [xml-dev] semantics in schema (xsd)

>From the prospective of these two software languages (RDF and OWL) this
is not an issue at all. Social implications, acceptability and
legislature are another topics altogether :)

What I suggested before was to say that:

Males may have wifes and wifes are females

Kind of like this:

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="wife">
  	<rdfs:domain>   rdf:resource="#Male" />
	<rdfs:range>   rdf:resource="#Female" />
</owl:ObjectProperty>

Similarly, females may have husbands and husbands are males

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="husband">
  	<rdfs:domain>   rdf:resource="#Female" />
	<rdfs:range>   rdf:resource="#Male" />
</owl:ObjectProperty>

Here Male and Female are classes. Wife and Husband are relationships
between them.

What you are bringing up is that in some countries a husband may be also
a male. One way to handle it is to create a subclass of homosexual males
and declare that homosexual males may also have husbands. In addition,
one could put a restriction saying that this is only possible in a
certain subclass of countries (countries that allow homosexual
marriages).

This is, however, going quite beyond the scope of the original example.

Regards,

Irene