   Re: [xml-dev] Character entities and document encoding

> I guess the fundamental question is: how are character entities
> interpreted in relation to the document encoding (i.e. what's the
> order of evaluation)? If that's not the fundamental question then
> I'm missing something :-))

The xml spec (1.0, 3rd ed.) says:
4.1 Character and Entity References
[Definition: A character reference refers to a specific character in the
ISO/IEC 10646 character set, for example one not directly accessible from
available input devices.]

Not being an expert, I think this means that character references are
independent of the document's encoding, and may be used to include
characters that don't exist in that encoding.

-tor