   Re: [xml-dev] CSS Scoping in XML Namespaces

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Baaaaah. Matching prefixes instead of namespaces. Bad bad bad. You
>> ought to declare the namespace with an @namespace rule, and then use
>> pfx|localName.
>>

> right... can you tell me which browser supports this?

Mozilla does but IE doesn't AFAIK and that should be expected as that
"poor excuse for a browser" doesn't even handle CSS2 selectors. A quick
search brings the following MSDN doc[1] that claims:

[[[
You must declare namespaces in the document element when using XML with
a cascading style sheet. Locally scoped namespaces will parse correctly,
but CSS does not currently describe a mechanism for resolving namespace
prefixes. Therefore, CSS rules might not apply correctly to elements in
the locally scoped namespace. Placing all namespace declarations on the
document element ensures that they are all global and, therefore, that
there will be no collision of prefixes. The default namespace cannot be
used: All namespaced elements with namespaces must have an explicit
prefix. In addition, CSS selectors can specify a namespaced element only
by its prefix. Therefore, you must ensure that the prefix is consistent
between the XML document and the style sheet.
]]]

[1]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/xsl_browsing1_8ss3.asp

--
Manos Batsis