len

From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 17:23, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> It's easy to conceive of why 80/20 dominates given
> incomplete or ambiguous requirements and such.  Just
> remember that the alternative is to do all the work
> under one root, and in our world, that means a framework
> capable of subsuming all of the objects needed to
> paint that screen and keep updating it from data stores.

That's not really what I meant.

80/20 is fine except that we usually have no measurement to evaluate on
which side of the 80/20 frontier a feature is and 80/20 becomes just an
easy way to reject features we don't like.

Digression: for programmers an alternative to 80/20 is XP (extreme
programming). Unfortunately that doesn't seem easy to adapt for
specification authors.