   Re: [Sax-devel] Re: [xml-dev] SAX/Java Proposed Changes

At 11:59 AM -0500 3/5/04, Karl Waclawek wrote:

>This discussion is not complete without considering exceptions.
>A handler could throw an exception too, not just the parser.

Yes but that's an a exception of a different color. If the user has
thrown an exception, they presumably no why they're throwing it and
what they want to happen. But yes, I agree, this should be spelled
out.

My gut is that when the handler throws an exception it is not
reported to fatalError. According to the ErrorHandler documentation,
"The parser will then report all errors and warnings through this
interface." The documentation of the three methods indicates this as
well. For instance, fatalError "corresponds to the definition of
"fatal error" in section 1.2 of the W3C XML 1.0 Recommendation. For
example, a parser would use this callback to report the violation of
a well-formedness constraint."

I see no text that indicates a user thrown exception should ever be
passed to the ErrorHandler. Should endDocument be called even in the
event of a user-thrown exception? I suspect not. The user threw it.
Let them clean up after it.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu