   Re: [xml-dev] More on REST and HTTP status codes

"K. Ari Krupnikov" wrote:

>Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> writes:
>

>>404.  The URI is opaque.  There is no such resource.
>>

>Do you have a reference to any sites that actually exhibit this
>behavior?

http://www.seairth.com/blog

For any URI under it, specifying an invalid query string returns a 404
response.  I use query strings in a very limited fashion.  The three
uses are:

For an "index" page, you can return an RSS feed with the query string of
"?rss=2.0".  To add an "entry" to that index, use the query string of
"?form=addentry".  If you try to use both query parameters at the same
time (i.e. "?rss=2.0&form=addentry), you will get a 404 error.

For an "item" page, you can return an HTML Form version with the query
string of "?form=editentry".

Any other query string returns a 404 response.

(Note:  the "?form=addentry" parameter probably should have been
implemented as a resource in its own right (possibly as a subresource of
the related index).  One of these days, when I find the time to fix it,
I will likely make that correction.)

Seairth Jacobs