   Re: [xml-dev] OT - CSS - thoughts on non-compliant browsers

Robert Koberg wrote:

> I realize this isn't the place to discuss CSS implementations, but I was
> wondering about your thoughts on browsers that decide to go their own
> way with regard to the spec. Actually, I would like some force to be
> applied to the developers...

Hey, Bib, did you reuse a message from another thread?  You post,shown
in a threaded view, showed up way deep in the current SAX thread.

> The browser in question is mozilla! They have decided that font pixel
> sizing is wrong (in most cases I agree), so they take over the user's
> CSS and provide their own interpretation.
>
> Now, I am not one to prescribe behavior for anyone. But I was wondering
> if there is offense taken by others by this non standard approach. Is
> anyone from mozilla here to explain there decision to abandon standards?

The trouble is accessibility.  If I can't resolve your carefully-chosen
pixel font, I need to be able to enlarge it until I can.  This is a
real-world issue - I know people who have 20-20 or even 20-15 vision who
cannot resolve typefaces smaller than 9 or 10 point - they _have_ to
enlarge some pages.  It's not a matter of reading glasses, tehy just do
not have the resolution for some reason.

> Perhaps mozilla should be denigrated in favor of other choices... at
> least for people who believe in standards.

I think that if the browser wants to scale up, it should be able to
scale bitmapped graphics too - preferably with resampling.  But Moz is
otherwise so good that I don't plan to give it up.

> The reason i bring this up is because we have built a beautiful,
> standards compliant, 3 column, tableless layout which works in all
> browsers. The problem occurs when a user resizes the text up in mozilla.
> We have defined tab's text to be pixel based because we needed to use a
> background image for the tabs (using a background-color and sliding
> image broke all over the place). So we made the decision to go pixel
> based for this one thing (the text is large to begin with). The layout
> looks great in all browsers except mozilla when text is increased.

I do not see it as much of a problem.  A user who does not know about
changing text size will not have any problem.  One who has done it a few
times will know to adjust the text size to get a good compromise between
fitting the graphics and being readable.  At least, that is what I find
myself doing.

I am always glad I have the option, even though sometimes I want the
graphics to scale too.  But scaling graphics, like Opera does, isn;t too
good without resampling.

Cheers,

Tom P