   Re: [xml-dev] SAX/Java Proposed Changes

At 11:37 PM -0800 3/7/04, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

>As we've discussed, the alternative being considered is to *always*
>call endDocument(), even when the parse is being terminated by an
>exception. This seems counter-intuitive to me, and to at least some
>others on this list. If this method were called "parsingDone()" or
>something of the sort I wouldn't see it as a problem; it's the
>actual method name and the perceived similarity between
>startElement()/endElement() and startDocument()/endDocument() that
>makes it feel wrong to me.

Think of endDocument() as meaning "the parser has reached the end of
the document" and startDocument() as "parser is positioned at the
start of the document". Just because the parser has not reported
events between the fatal error and the end of the document, does not
mean it's not at the end of the document.

Or another way of looking at it: the document ends after the fatal
error, even if there's more data in the stream.

A side note: please do make sure all posts about this get cc'd to
sax-devel. There are people reading there who are not reading xml-dev.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu