From: learning xml [mailto:learning_xml@hotmail.com]
Sent: 09 March 2004 15:54
To: pfuhlman@Dexma.com
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Document is invalid: no grammar found.

Hi,

xerces version is xerces-2_2_1.

book.xml is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="/tmp/example/xml_1/book.xsd">
      <title>
      Being a Dog Is a Full-Time Job
      </title>
      <author>Charles M. Schulz</author>
      <character>
      <name>Snoopy</name>
      <friend-of>Peppermint Patty</friend-of>
      <since>1950-10-04</since>
      <qualification>
      extroverted beagle
      </qualification>
      </character>
      <character>
      <name>Peppermint Patty</name>
      <since>1966-08-22</since>
      <qualification>bold, brash and tomboyish</qualification>
      </character>
      </book>

book.xsd file is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!-- definition of simple types -->
  <xs:simpleType name="nameType">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
      <xs:maxLength value="32"/>
    </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>
  <xs:simpleType name="sinceType">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:date"/>
  </xs:simpleType>
  <xs:simpleType name="descType">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string"/>
  </xs:simpleType>
  <xs:simpleType name="isbnType">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
      <xs:pattern value="[0-9]{10}"/>
    </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>
  <!-- definition of complex types -->
  <xs:complexType name="characterType">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="name" type="nameType"/>
      <xs:element name="friend-of" type="nameType" minOccurs="0"
               maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      <xs:element name="since" type="sinceType"/>
<xs:element name="qualification" type="descType"/>
    </xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>
  <xs:complexType name="bookType">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="title" type="nameType"/>
      <xs:element name="author" type="nameType"/>
      <xs:element name="character" type="characterType" minOccurs="0"/>
      <!-- the definition of the "character" element is
        using the "characterType" complex type    -->
    </xs:sequence>
    <xs:attribute name="isbn" type="isbnType" use="required"/>
  </xs:complexType>
  <!-- Reference to "bookType" to define the
     "book" element -->
  <xs:element name="book" type="bookType"/>
</xs:schema>

>Just guessing, but you might try reorganizing your xml so the data
>starts
>*after* the schema declaration, and just to be safe, use a fully qualified
>path to "book.xsd":
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><book
>   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>
>xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="//mycomputer/usr/wenpeng/schemas/book.xsd"
>   isbn="0836217462">
>
>Good luck ;-)
>
>Phil F.

DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended
for the recipient only.
If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete it from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any other purposes, or disclose the content of the e-mail
to any other person or store or copy the information in any medium.
The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Admenta UK Group.