   RE: [xml-dev] W3C suckered by Microsoft?

1.  It trying to treat it as citation of original work.
That is faulty, certainly.  Given software that ferrets
this out, it is embarrassing.  Otherwise, it is just a
quality of the blog issue.

2.  For companies that are encouraging their employees
to blog as a means of branding, getting feedback etc.,
it is possibly dangerous.  They are opening themselves
up to some messy IP issues.  Consortia close
WG lists and insist on participation agreements to
prevent exactly that sort of thing from happening.

Note the poster who characterizes everything MS does
with XAML as XUL.  Given the ideas behind those predate
both, that's teasing the dragon's tail.  Risky.

Whatever the web presents as a test, the law will accept
and process accordingly.  That is way the legal system
makes a profit off the vanity of the technical community.

len

From: Bob Foster [mailto:bob@objfac.com]

Doesn't the whole issue derive from trying to treat backfence gossip as
intellectual property? In other walks of life, we don't have copyrights
on casual conversation. Nobody knows who first told a joke or started a
rumor.

Free and open communication available to billions of people is just not
something our laws and societies are evolved to deal with. Right now we
are trying very hard to jam it into the private property can. Some of
it, who knows how much, may not fit in there.