   Re: [xml-dev] GenX and attribute QNames

On Mar 10, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Rich Salz wrote:

> Hi Simon!
>
>> Othen than pointing out how evil QNames in content are, anyone have
>> any suggestions on how these things might be incorporated into the
>> API without breaking the canonicalization ?
>
> Outputting an extra namespace won't break the canonicalization as long
> as you only add the namespace declaration once.
>
> If Tim provided an API that allowed you to add namespace nodes to the
> root, then that would be safe.

Er, I thought that canonical XML required that namespace names be
declared only at the first point they're used.  Am I wrong?

If I'm right, it's a big problem; it means you can't have a qname in an
attribute value unless that namespace has already been used in a
containing element or one of its attributes.  So I'm probably wrong.
Rich?
-Tim

smime.p7s