   Re: [xml-dev] endDocument/fatalError warning

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>At 9:11 AM -0500 3/5/04, David Megginson wrote:
>

>>* 2004-0005: endDocument
>>
>>- note that a parser might not invoke endDocument after reporting a
>>  fatal error (this produces the fewest incompatibilities)
>>

>One minor editorial suggestion here. Instead of "Until this ambiguity
>is resolved in a future major release, clients should make no
>assumptions about whether endDocument() will or will not be invoked
>*when* the parser has reported a fatalError() or thrown an
>exception." I would write "Until this ambiguity is resolved in a
>future major release, clients should make no assumptions about
>whether endDocument() will or will not be invoked *after* the parser
>has reported a fatalError() or thrown an exception." That is, change
>"when" to "after".

I don't understand your logic in this, Elliotte. AFAIKS this method will
*never* be called after the parser has thrown an exception, only before.
I suppose if you want this to be completely correct it could say
something like "...about whether endDocument() will or will not be
invoked after the parser has reported a fatalError() (if an ErrorHandler
is used) and before the parser throws an exception." That seems likely
to confuse people more than the wording used by David, though.

  - Dennis