   Re: [xml-dev] Problem designing complexType accepting a specified elemen

You are running into an issue called "non-determinism", because the
schema processor cannot discern - when a "choice" compositor is used -
if an element named "identifier" should be considered to be the
"identifier" element that is declared in the content model, or an
element that is supplied as a wildcard (the xs:any element).

You have not provided a "namespace" attribute to the xs:any element -
therefore, an element in that place in an XML instance document
conforming to the schema to which that content model belongs (long
sentence, I know but trying to be precise) can be in any namespace.

If you were to add a "namespace" attribute to the xs:any element that is
more "strict" with the namespace - e.g. "##other", which means that the
element must be from a namespace other than the target namespace of the
schema - then this will solve the problem because the schema processor
will be able to handle such an element in a deterministic manner.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World