   Re: [xml-dev] Unicode bi-directional algorithm in XSL

At 2004-03-12 08:38 -0600, Donald Smith wrote:
>Let's say I have some XML with Arabic content and the English abbreviation
>"C.B." inside the Arabic:
>
><example>imagine some Arabic content here C.B. imagine some more Arabic
>content here</example>
>
>Obviously, the Unicode bi-directional algorithm will handle the direction of
>the Arabic text flow as right-to-left, but when rendered by an XSL-FO
>application, the abbreviation comes out ".C.B" (yes, I know bidi-override
>will fix this).

Yes, with unicode-bidi="embed":

    <bidi-override unicode-bidi="embed">C.B.</bidi-override>

>My question is: what's actually happening with the Unicode bi-directional
>algorithm? Is (1) the period between the "C" and the "B" staying put, and
>the period after the "B" moving before the "C"; or (2) are both periods
>moving, so that the period between the "C" and the "B" moves before "C", and
>the period after the "B" moving between them?

"C" and "B" have a strong direction.

Arabic characters have strong direction.

"." has a week direction and is influenced by neighbouring strong-direction
characters.

So, I believe the "." between the two is influenced to be left-to-right,
while the "." after the "B" is being influenced by the right-to-left Arabic
characters.  So I believe the first one you see is the last one and is
rendered as part of the continuing right-to-left.  But the "C" and the "B"
keep their direction of left-to-right and influence the "." in between to
make it left-to-right.

I hope this helps.

--
US XSL training: Washington,DC March 15; San Francisco,CA March 22
World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training