From: Liam Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 11:59 AM
To: DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO)
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] How does XML work with Linux

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:00:46AM -0500, DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:
> And because all XML files are text files (despite the best efforts of some
> people to change that) they're particularly portable between operating
> systems.

And with XML 1.1 you can even move them to/from sysetms that use
the Unicode line ending (NEL) thingy.

Of course, you have to ask what is a text file -- UTF-8? UTF-16?
UCS-32?  Big 5?  At one time Unix defined a text file to contain
only 7-bit ASCII characters (the 8th bit being used for parity,
and in effect stored as 0).

As for "best efforts", I'm not seeing a strong demand to change XML.
I'm seeing people who want a standardised way to interchange XML
with an "efficient encoding", but that's not the same as changing
XML itself.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/