   Articles / notes on history of XML schema languages?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Articles / notes on history of XML schema languages?
  • From: Ian Graham <ian.graham@utoronto.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:50:40 -0500

I'm writing up a short piece on the history of XML schema languages, and
am looking for some good source material.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

The W3C XML schema specs (early drafts) reference notes that served as
early input, but the connections (e.g. what input led to what XML schema
design characteristic)  are not obvious (except in the minds of the
schema spec contributors). It's also not clear if/how other ideas
infiltrated into XML schema (why do OO concepts seem so prominent, for
example?)

I'm also trying to uncover the history of other approaches, like
Relax-NG, schematron, examplotron, etc. I've found lots of notes in
XML-dev (and elsewhere) on this, but few summaries that tell a complete
story.

I did found one nice summary , by Eric Van der Vlist:

http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml02/slides/vandervlist/slides-schemas/html/slide1.html

But I'm hoping there might be others out there, somewhere [ maybe a
audio file of Eric talking through his slides, and filling in all the
details ;-) ]?

Best --

Ian
--
Ian Graham     < i a n . g r a h a m (at) u t o r o n t o . c a >