   Re: [xml-dev] Re: [Sax-devel] Showstopper issue with new Attribute text

Ummmm, sorry if this sounds stupid but why do xmlns declarations have to
be reported as attributes? Why do they have to be reported at all?

All I care as a developer is the namspace of element/attribute nodes and
that information is available on startElement.

Giving me xmlns as an attribute will complicate my code.

On the other hand, maybe I need some sleep.

Cheers,

Manos

David Megginson wrote:

> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
>> The local name property of the attribute information item for an xmlns
>> attribute is xmlns. The prefix property for the attribute information
>> corresponding to an xmlns attribute has no value. Therefore, when SAX
>> reports these I maintain that the local name should be xmlns, not the
>> empty string. The qualified name should also be xmlns. This is still a
>> showstopper issue, even allowing xmlns attributes into the
>> http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/ namespace.
>

> OK, people, what do we do here?  Here are my opinions:
>
> 1. Anyone who writes an application that actually cares about the
> Namespace assigned to xmlns attributes is f#@$%@#$ed in the head and
> deserves whatever happens.
>
> 2. That said, we still have a responsibility to try to do the right
> thing. If we get it wrong, though, it doesn't matter all that much (see
> #1).
>
> So, bearing all that in mind, what should we report for the following
> Namespace declaration?
>
>   <foo xmlns="http://www.example.org/ns#"/>
>
> a) an attribute with no Namespace URI and the local name "xmlns";
>
> b) an attribute with the Namespace URI "http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/";
> and no local name; or
>
> c) an attribute with the Namespace URI "http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/";
> and the local name "xmlns".
>
> Note that none of these is a clean solution, probably because Namespaces
> 1.1 is a bit broken.  Then again, I doubt it matters much.  If no one
> presents a convincing argument, I'll just pick one of the three at random.
>

> Apathetically yours,
>

> David

Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr